Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Once more into the breech.



Once more into the breech.

My name is Kerry Forrestal. I am an emergency medicine physician working on Maryland's Eastern Shore. This journal is being started for two reasons. First as a document of time spent in Haiti on a medical mission to Cap Haitian and second as a prototype for "Dispatches from the Field" project for the American College of Emergency Physicians International Section.

A small amount of background.

This will be my third trip to Haiti. My first was undertaken shortly after residency fulfilling a lifelong ambition to become a doctor and go somewhere, if only briefly, where the need was great and medicine was practiced purely for the benefit of others.

Haiti filled that description and then some.

My local church had been going down to Northern Haiti for many years, at first to build things, and later on medical missions. Thus a perfect opportunity was born and with the support of my wonderful wife Shannon, I went.

I wrote a journal of my experiences in the country extensively, but did not write as extensively of my second visit. No particular reason, perhaps the dazzle of working in such a place had worn off and the difficult, necessary business of tending to people in an impossible place persisted.

This document will hopefully correct that previous omission and lead others to post their "Dispatches from the field" to share those experiences, teach those that comes after us and perhaps inspire some to try the work.

TODAY

Three days out from leaving I find myself scrambling for vaccines. I've long held the view point that a lot of the medicine we practice in Cap Haitian is impermanent. We leave and a month later everything is back to what it was with the exception of a handful of cases. Vaccines on the other hand leave a more permanent benefit and I've wanted to vaccinate the kids we see since my first visit.

I was discouraged from trying with information that it was already being done and that getting vaccine into the country required refrigeration. When Pastor Julio(My interpreter in Haiti) called me tonight, I found out that there really isn't much vaccination going on.

I'm continuing to check this out, including trying to get hold of some tetanus/DTaP shots.

As to the rest of the preparations, I found my "Haiti Hat", have my leatherman, and my daughters(Sarah 6 and Riley 4) are collecting up their coins to send to the "People in Haiti". I'm gathering and making an inventory of gear. We have to travel light as we have only 25lbs for personal gear. The remainder of a 50Lb luggage allowance goes to all of our medical gear.

I don't find the trepidation that I associated with the first trip. Haiti is no longer an unknown and I have friends down there now so my issue is more that I hate being away from my wife and children. But as I continue to say, doing these things are necessary and it sets the example for my girls that being a physician is not about privilege, but rather service.

One other note, my nephew, Jason, is coming with us. This will be his first such trip. Will ask him to share his views as well.

Here’s hoping!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you. I really wanted to go but can't for so many reasons. I am looking forward to your posts and insights.

    ReplyDelete